Widney is very proud to be running the Forest School programme across all year groups in KS2.
Forest School originates from Denmark and Sweden in the 1980s as a solution to the lack of indoor facilities for pre-schoolers. Its popularity resulted in British teachers visiting Scandanavia in the 1990s and its introduction into the UK. It has grown in popularity and support and is based more on the process of learning than the content- more on the HOW and the WHAT.
- Use of the natural outdoor environment in all weathers
- Child led approach to children’s learning which is fun, unhurried and spontaneous
- A long term programme where children come into contact with nature using all their senses
- Builds confidence and self esteem as they are responsible for making their own decisions and are carefully supported to achieve them
- Allows every child to have a voice especially those who find it hard to communicate in a more conventional environment
- A high adult to child ratio allows children to undertake new experiences and challenges whilst taking appropriate risks
- Supports personalised learning
- Trained adults and facilitators- Mrs Kriedemann is our Forest School leader.
You can view and download a comprehensive guide here